Friday, November 4, 2011

Today I am thankful for: Coupons (Day 4)

I have posted several blogs about my coupon trips. I have several pictures on facebook as well. I love coupons.
I have been interested in coupons WAY before the Extreme Coupon show on TLC. As a matter of fact I used to help my grandmother sort and file coupons back when I was little.
Just two years ago I got interested in a website called www.thegrocerygame.com this site was a phenomenon to me. It told you where each coupon was and what store you can get the best savings for. I used it a few times to get a few deals, but I ran into a problem every time I went to get the advertised "deal" (mostly freebies) I could never find the product. I was unaware of coupon policies, and rainchecks and how they all worked together, so I got discouraged and quit.
Once I got into the TLC show Extreme Couponing, I did a little research, and poked around the world wide web for different (free) websites that I could use. And the one I found, and like the most had a "Coupon 101" tutorial. It also layed out each store, how the coupon police worked and how to play the coupon game. I was hooked.
Now, a few months into it, I am still not an obsessed extreme couponer, however I do have a stockpile. I would love love love to have a crazy huge stockpile, but I never see that happening. Why you may ask?? Well that's because I don't coupon to hoard. I coupon to help the less fortunate, people in need, family, and friends.
Currently I have about 30 razors and 10 refill packs in my closet, do I need all of those? No. Did I spend a ton of money on them? No. BUT every time someone comes into the house, they typically leave with something out of my closet.I have sent people away with two huge grocery bags full of stuff.
If finances are good that month, Jason gives me $50 to play my coupon game. Do you know how much stuff you can get with $50???? More than my family will need....but enough to help others.

I am not the best coupon organizer. I do have one of those fun ginormous double sided binders filled with baseball card holders....but I am the worst at clipping and organizing the coupons. I am not worried about it too much because the website that I use will tell me the date and insert the coupon I need is in....so I can have the whole insert laying about and still get the job done.

I use the website www.southernsavers.com the most. but there are a few others I follow on facebook and get info about good deals from.
I typically coupon at drug stores like CVS and Walgreens, I do the occasional Walmart trips, and I have done a few grocery stores. The actual grocery store intimidates me with coupons, so I am not all about it yet. I know I could get deals, and it kills me when I buy something I know I have a coupon for (bringing the coupon binder would be helpful here, but remember it is unorganized and outdated with coupons) but I don't let myself stress too much about it. And if worse comes to worse, I can go home gather the coupons, take the receipt and the coupons back to the store and they will give me money back...
My goal is to be a well oiled coupon machine, but all in due time.

No comments:

Post a Comment