Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Lapband and a gain. GAG

Lapband, my dear dear friend.
Ugh.
Maybe more of a love/hate relationship as of late.

On May 3rd, Jason and I had an appoinment to get fills. At this point, I was down to 271 lbs. To give you a frame of reference, my starting weight before lapband was 307lb. So for those who can't or don't want to do math in your head....means I was down 36lbs. Sounds good, right...but seeing as I am a year and a half out of my surgery date, it is pretty pitiful. Just sayin.
I weighed 271, and at this point had not had a fill in 10 months, which is lapband laziness (you are supposed to go at least every 4-6 weeks for a fill/upkeep.
I get into the room, and the Medical Assistant tried to give me a blind fill (she is doing it by the feel, and not under XRay) she couldn't catch my port, so after a little bit of digging, she took me down to do a barium swallow and XRay....
When I got under the XRay, they found out that my pouch (the new stomach that is formed once the lapband is placed around the smallest part of your stomach) had been stretched.
UGH.
I am the worst lapband patient EVER.
Basically it stretched because I do a HUGE lapband no no.... because my eating habits are not timed right, I typically am eating dinner close to bed time. And because the food can't not go through my stomach as fast as normal, the majority of the food I eat sit in the little pouch...and when I lay down before it is processed, the food just sits there most of the night, and does not get passed through until I sit up in the morning.
With this they took half of my fill out. This would allow my pouch to rest, and not have the restriction in my lapband that would require the use of the pouch. And then I can come back to get another fill and be back on my way to weight loss.

So I go home, hungry......lapband unfill makes you feel HUNGRY quicker, and worse than if you are filled.

I can eat ANYTHING.

it was AMAZING.
but HORRIBLE
all at the same time.

I had things I haven't been able to eat in a long long time.....a whole sandwich without picking off all the bread....Pizza with crust and everything.....I mean EVERYTHING. I had a food bucket list going, ha, see told you I am big. lol.

With all this new hunger, and ability to eat, I gained weight. ew.

Today I went to get my fill put back in. I unfortunately weighed 283lbs. In my ability to eat anything, I gained 12 lbs. YUCK!

The M.A. who was putting me in today, took me straight to the XRay with the nasty barium swallow...she checked my pouch and told me it looked good, she put in 3cc in my band, so I am back up to 7.3cc's in a 14cc band.

BUT.

As we were talking about my current health state, she was concerned.... I had told her that I have been battling indigestion this past month. I told her that since the unfill I had been able to feel all the acid and it has been so bad that I have been taking lots of Tums. She said that typically getting an unfill will reduce the acid reflux, and she is concerned that my unfill caused the acid. She now wants me to go back to the surgeon who preformed the surgery for a scope, they will check if my lapband is at the right place, and look for anything that might be wrong internally.

Now my thoughts are this..... I would think that the lapband would BLOCK acid reflux because by the time your food hits the stomach acids, there is not enough space in the band to allow the acid to go back up, thus causing less to no acid reflux. And when I got my unfill the space to allow the acid to go up, was bigger, and thats why I felt it so much....

but I am no doctor....

So I will try and be a good patent, and go do the scope and hope that everything is ok.

My next scheduled fill is on July 16th, and that is just in time for me to go out of town to a wedding....so I will only be able to nibble on some wedding cake! ha ha.

I will keep you posted if I have any great weight loss!

No comments:

Post a Comment