Sunday, October 24, 2010

The LB Story Part Two

We go to Jason's lapband consultation. They take us back into the room, we watch a dvd about what lapband was and then we talked to a consultant.
As the consultant asked Jason to voice any questions, he had mentioned how I was on the fence so I can wait and talk with my gyno. True Results checks our insurance benefits....and with the crazy things insurances have people to do get lapband....psychologist reviews dietitian consults, 6 months of other dietary treatments..... our insurance only required a 40 bmi and over the age of 18.
Trying to convince me to jump on the bandwagon.....The consultant said that most of my causes of infertility could probably be chalked up to my weight. And she also said the running joke is that the lap band is nicknamed "fertility band" because it helps get women healthy enough to be able to conceive. She gave the personal story of her sister who had lapband, got pregnant within a few months, and then had the baby, all the time still losing weight and having a healthy baby...
I was still not 100% comfortable, so instead of Jason going ahead with the medical consult; we rescheduled both of us (me "just in case") for after my gyno procedure that way I could talk with him.
I go to my Gynos appointment on September 13th. Have the Sonohystogram. And then has the consult with the Gyno with his findings. He explains to me that my ovaries look like super chocolate chip cookies, between the eggs that are in there and the fibroids......The doc said I am in the beginning stages of polycystic ovaries. He says best thing to do is control my diabetes, and lose weight. I then ask him about lapband. He was all for it. He wasn't going to suggest clomid till after I lose a little weight.
Two days after the gyno appointment, we have our lapband medical appoitmtent. I tell them that I want lapband, everyone is excited.
Our insurance doesn’t require any testing from us, but True Results does. We have a breathing test done, and I pass. Jason doesn’t so TR asks him to go get a breathing treatment, and with that, blood work and XRays. From me, they want the blood work, cardiac clearance and that’s it. (The cardiac clearance is because I have been diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse as a kid, which will require antibiotics)
In the next few weeks, Jason has two sleep studies, finds out he has slight sleep apnea, and if he loses weight it should go away (His Cpap machine will only be with him until a few weeks after the surgery)

No comments:

Post a Comment