Thursday, November 11, 2010

The LB Story Part Four

Surgeon Consult.
Oct 18th,2010
We went to Dallas for our Surgeon consult. I was for sure that since I couldn't get my PCP to clear me the Surgeon would say no....no lapband for Layla.
Getting to the office, we were in a group setting, there were several people there who like us needed to schedule their appts, there was a woman there with her husband who just had lapband the day before our appt. And there was a lady who was there just for information, she hadn't had any meetings, consults or anything up to this point.
In the group meeting, we were greeted by an advocate who had lapband done three years before. She lost over a hundred pounds and is now in the "maintenance" process. She explained she is keeping her weight off herself, there is no saline in her band to give her restriction, so she is doing it on her own.
After the advocate went through the do's and don'ts of lapband, pre and post operation diets and any questions we had, we went one on one with the surgeon.
In the office, we were weighed, and our date of surgery was scheduled. We had the choice of two dates, November 8th or November 22nd.
Our wedding anniversary is the 7th of Nov and having the surgery on the next day would put a damper on our celebration, because we would be in our pre op diet.....or if we waited for the 22nd we would then be on a post op liquid diet for Thanksgiving. Being my choice, I chose the 8th.
Choosing the date was fun and all, but I was still convinced that the doctor would not operate on me because of my diabetes.
Dr Marsden came in and proceeded to tell me how he would still operate on me as long as my sugars were not over 400 on the day of surgery. He was saying that Diabetes basically kills your metabolism and that if i tried to lose weight right now it would be an uphill battle.
He was very laid back and easy to talk to. He made me feel really comfortable and eased my mind. He also thought it was cool Jason and I wanted to go together, when everyone else in our lives freaked out saying we needed to stagger our days so we can take care of each other.
We went home from the appointment with the surgeon with a week before our two week pre op diet was to begin.....eeeeek.....it was closer than I realized.

No comments:

Post a Comment