Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Sister Call's Birthday Cake

Growing up, I went to seminary (an early morning bible study class for high school students, typically held at the church meeting house, or in rural areas someones livingroom...)
Sister Call would bake us a cake if it was our birthday week...she would always make the same cake...the chocolate one. I loved getting a ride home from her because she would let me take an extra piece home.....oh how I loved that cake.
I never got the recipe from her, and she has sadly passed away. BUT....her daughter Katri had the recipe. I gave her a brief and very vague description of the cake, and she magically knew what I was talking about!!! Oh how sweet life is.....
And here it is for you to enjoy as well....I will rename it to :

Ann Call's Birthday Cake
Cake ingred.:
2 sticks butter or margarine
1 cup water
1/4 cup cocoa
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour a 9x13 inch pan. Heat butter, water and cocoa over low heat until butter is melted. Let cool. Add to flour and sugar and mix well. Add remaining ingredients, mixing after each addition. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes.

Chocolate Frosting:
1 stick butter
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 cups powdered sugar

Heat butter, cocoa, and buttermilk over low heat until butter is melted. (It looks like a mess!) Add to the powdered sugar and beat well. while cake is still warm, spread with frosting.

Yield: 16 servings (I added powder sugar for the picture, because it sort of looks like my brownie from a previous post)

1 comment: